“Organisers of badminton’s Vietnam Open rushed to set up a new venue on Wednesday and resume play for the shuttlers who had a narrow escape from a ceiling collapse at an indoor stadium,” reports a Reuters news source.
Although no one was hurt, the players and spectators at the Phan Dinh Phung Sports Center in Ho Chi Mihn City were highly shaken up from the collapse, which was very possibly due to a faulty safety management plan for the stadium.
As mentioned, the incident seems directly related to a faulty safety management plan for the stadium. The sports center, which is 30 years old, apparently eluded stringent safety inspections due to upcoming and scheduled renovations.
An investigation of the ceiling collapse is now underway. Here is video of the collapse from a spectator’s smart phone.
Note: for viewers in Youtube-blocked countries, try using hola to access our videos.
LIKE WHAT YOU SEE? Just complete the subscription form (below or top right of our home page) and we’ll send each issue of Recordable INSIGHTS Newsletter to your inbox for free! Instructional videos, audio clips, articles, e-books, and other resources on how to better lead a safety culture delivered directly to your Inbox each issue!
NOTE: Please use a company domain to subscribe to the Recordable INSIGHTS newsletter. Hotmail, Yahoo, Live, and other generic domains may not allow subscription completion.
ALSO, be sure to check your Inbox for the Confirmation email after subscribing. You must click the Confirm button in that email to complete your subscription. Subscription requests that are not confirmed are purged from our system. [mailpress] Be sure to see our other Vlog (Video Blog) entries on our safetyBUILT-IN YouTube Channel