There are six drivers of engagement that we can use to build levels of engagement in our employees to strengthen our safety culture. It’s important to understand that while we should be looking for direct application of these drivers to specific safety situations, even a generic application of these drivers will strengthen a safety culture. Why? Because as we mentioned in a previous article in this series, a heightened level of engagement entails a heightened sense of ownership, and a heightened sense of ownership entails a greater commitment to safe behaviors.
The drivers of engagement that we’ll be exploring include:
- Perception of job contribution and value of the job
- Clarity of job expectations and the ability to work well
- Involvement in decision making
- Opportunities for development and growth
- Regular, quality, two-way feedback with a supervisor
- Immediate recognition for achievement
We’ll take a look at the first three drivers here, and save the final three for the next article.